Monday, November 14, 2011

My First Monday Listicles!!!

I’m pretty excited to link up with Listicles today, not because it’s my first time, well maybe a little, but because I’m doing NoBloPoMo where you write a post a day for 30 days, with my friend Abby, and I’m running out of Blog fodder. She challenged me, and usually I’m not competitive but, I don’t want to be aced out by her, so now I’m scratching for something great to write about.

I’m not going to be like some people and blow the list off altogether just to write about what I want, although I do love some people’s posts because they always make me smile.

Here’s my list of things that make for a great vacation:




This is the lobby at the Benson, you can stay here for $100 per night. 

1.      Time- Not necessarily quantity of time, but quality of time. We went to Portland Oregon the last weekend of October, for my birthday weekend, it was a Friday-Sunday deal because I was out of vacation time, and short on cash, and because it was a weekend, I didn’t feel guilty for not being at work, and not taking care of Henry. And because of that I was able to relax and focus on just being in a new place and taking it all in. We stayed at the Benson Hotel, if you go to Portland, stay at the Benson.


2.      New Experiences- I had never been to Portland to hang out, when we go it’s to get something, or do something, then turn around and go home. It’s about a 2 ½ hour drive from my house, so when we do go it’s rare. We parked our car with the Valet, and didn’t get it out until it was time to go home. We walked everywhere, and the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry was a mile and half walk from the hotel, they were showing The Bodies Exhibit, and I always wanted to go. Steve isn’t down with museums, but it was my Birthday, so he went, and he really liked it, to the point where he wanted to bring other people to see it.


3.      Doing Nothing- Vacation is the best time to do nothing, when it was raining we watched one of the Jackass movies and just hung out in the room, and Saturday night was so warm we walked through town looking for a lounge that had some live music, but it was early, around 8 and nobody had started playing, so we sat on a bench under these huge trees and watched people and cars, and just soaked it all in.

4.      Appreciating the Simple Things- Nothing tastes better than a latte in the middle of a park. Ok, lots of things probably taste better, but when you’re kicking back watching the world and you are with the person that you love the most, in that moment, nothing tastes better.

5.      Smelling the Flowers- Literally, how often do we take time out of our busy lives to smell the flowers, or the grass or watch the birds, when you are on vacation, you have all the time in the world to do that.


6.      Not Answering the Phone when Work Calls – I love my job, and I love the people I work for, it is really hard for me not to answer the phone or text back when they contact me, when I’m on vacation it’s easier for me to not respond as fast as I would if I were home.

7.      Not Coming Back Early- When work does call, they always tell me I don’t have to stay on vacation, I can come home early. And sometimes before I go, they say I don’t have to leave, I can stay instead. Sometimes they are joking, most of the time they’re not. Aubrie can handle most anything now; I don’t know why they worry.

8.      Maid Service- Seriously, what else do I have to say here?

9.      Eating Out- Again, if somebody else is doing the cooking, and the cleaning up after, I’m all for it.

10.  Letting My Tattooed Freak Flag Fly! - I have tattoos, and recently I got a quarter sleeve on my right arm. I am always conscious not to let my tattoos hang out at work or work functions. If I am at a party where I know there will be clients, I am also careful. Tattoos still carry a stigma, and I don’t want our clients to think less of me as a person or think that my boss has low standards of professionalism. When I’m on vacation, I just let it all hang out, I don’t care what people see or feel, I am who I am, like it or don’t.

35 comments:

  1. Eating out = Makes me happy!
    Congrats on your first listicle and moreso, congrats on NaBloPoMo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Listicles, Madge! I love this meme, so easy and fun and all the people who participate are great.

    Your list is great. I especially like the last bit about your tattoos.  I only 1 so far and I'm actually posting about it tomorrow. If you need another post idea, I'm doing it for Just.Be.Enough's Be Enough Me weekly meme. Also, I host a weekly meme on Fridays! Just sayin'.

    So you're in the great PNW, hu? Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jennifer :)
    Meme's make my life easy, I'll stop by today, and hit you up on Friday too.
    Yeah, I'm in Lacey, where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, it doesn't make my wasteline happy for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqui helped me set one up, but I haven't had time to figure out how to use it. I think I'm madge98584 but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I click your link it takes me to a full twitter, not your site, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Your first Monday Listicle! Great vacation list...and it lets me know you're good at your job or they wouldn't call you when you're gone. 

    I'm glad  you didn't blow off the topic like some people. I hate when some people do that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fun, and I LOVE MY NEW NOTEBOOK!!!! I used it all weekend to write down stuff. Good stuff too, not grocery list stuff.
    I love some people, so it really doesn't matter to me what some people write as long as they enjoy what they are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping you wouldn't just write grocery stuff in it! I just went through my older one and found some stuff I forgot about in it. It usually saves my butt since I have no memory cells whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm losing my cells by the day. I'm not sure why. I can remember every password I need, a few phone numbers and addresses, but if you ask me what I did on Friday night, I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got your vacation priorities straight and it looks like you are well able to appreciate every bit of a vacation. 
    PS: Welcome to Listicles and good luck on NaBloPoMo. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ado, NaBloPoMo is harder than I thought, but it's getting me closer to 100 posts for the year, so I guess it's good for somethng.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't help it but I keep seeing testicles instead of listicles...I mean reading that...Good list though...I don't get to travel much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such a good girl following the rules!  (Unlike some other who may go nameless at this point.)  I think tats are a lot more common than they used to be.  Most of the people I know and hang out with have them.  Vacation to me would be a perfect month in Paris.  Well, duh.  

    ReplyDelete
  15. mikewjattoomanymorningsNovember 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM

    Listicles sounds dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you for giving the old post-a-day-for-30-days a shot.   Some darn fine vacation ideas here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. *whispers* I see testicles.
    We don't get to travel much either LM that's why 3 days has to last.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A month seems like such a long time, but I guess if the flight takes 24 hours you'd need a month to get over the jet lag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Jayne, I'm thinking it's going to get to day 25 and my post will just say...
    Still here, you still reading?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you sure this is your first testicle? I mean listicle? Cause you sure are good at it ;)
    I like what you said. On vacation life does seem so much sweeter. Last time we went down to Seattle for a weekend we layer on the bed with my son asleep and watched Frasier reruns. It can be as simple as that...
    We are planning a trip down to Portalnd so thank you for the great info on Benson. That seems like a bargain!
    Keep writing, you are half way through NoBloPoMo!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Be prepared to spend about 30 a day for parking, but you can walk everywhere, you have to do voodoo donuts, and the Saturday market is not far. Portland is waaayy more walkable than Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there Madge! Congrats on your first Listicle. That was so naughty of Stasha to misspell it. I always see your comment over at the Pink Chick's. Great to finally 'meet' you. I think you're spot on, on what makes a great vacation! I love 'doing nothing' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're a better woman than I am.  I'd be saying that on day three.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's because you think, and check facts, and you're an amazing writer, If I had to do that, it would be all consuming,  I just write for the hell of it, facts schmacts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. *blushes* Oh, wait. That may be the fever. Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was there doin' nothin' for three days in August. OMSI was cool. The weather was great. Can't say enough nice things about Powell's. Wonder why I didn't know about the Benson?

    ReplyDelete
  27. We didn't make it to Powels, I found the Benson by mistake, I was trying to get Hotel Moderna by bidding on Priceline, and won the Benson instead, I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for stopping by Kiddo, welcome to my place.  I've seen you there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Keep it up Madge :) I'm so glad I challenged you to this :) It does prove to be a challenge! Next week, you should go on a spree of "Thankful" so each day just blog something you're thankful for till Thanksgiving. That will eat up a good 6 or 7 posts for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. You too Abby, I'll be blogged out by the time this is over with.
    I almost missed Sunday, I scheduled a post that didn't post. You will not beat me..... but if you do I owe you starbucks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Portland is so close, and yet we still haven't gone to hang out for a weekend. We keep talking about it... we just have to do it! Your weekend sounded great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You should go, wait until all the protesters are gone though. I can't wait to go back there, I would live downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey!
    I don't know wassup with your blog, it kept whiting out the page and telling me there are errors, I couln't be on long enough to scroll down and comment. It might just be me. Your list ROCKS Kenneth!

    ReplyDelete