Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Man I Have had a lot of Jobs... The Finale

Medical Supply: I had a little bit of a medical background from going to massage school, so I understood a lot of the diagnosis’s, but learning codes and Medicare guidelines was a total bitch. I got it though, and I was good at my job, they transferred me to the new store, I developed all of the policies and procedures for the store, worked with the corporate office to manage invoicing and I was there by myself all day, I had a lunch relief worker, but that was it. And when I asked for a raise, I got written up instead, for not keeping up on the insurance end of things. Did I mention I had no support, none, management never offered to help, and when I asked for help I didn’t get it. I left that company after 3 years, when I was recruited to sell yellow pages.

 I loved selling yellow pages, I loved the freedom to do what I wanted when I wanted, I had breakfast out with my friends every morning. I got to design ads for businesses and I made a lot of money. I always got my 30% increase because I learned early how to play “the game” and my clients loved me and looked forward to seeing me coming. Until the day our company was bought out by the largest yellow pages company in the world. They changed the game, and I became a faceless number who was failing at my job. I couldn’t sell anything, and over half of my clients cancelled. New business with these new rules was a thing of the past, and I couldn’t design ads any longer, they left it to the “designers” who did substandard work and didn’t follow directions. I was miserable, and every day I didn’t have a sale I would have to report to the manager’s office, where I was pretty much told I was worthless, and I would cry. I cried in my car every day, I cried before work, and I cried when I got home. Fortunately I still had flexibility to spend my time doing what I wanted, and I went to a temp agency and took a test, they had a job interview for me the next week, and that leads me to my current position.

Currently I work for a financial advisor, I have been here almost 5 years, and my anniversary is in March. I really like my job, I learn something new every day, and that keeps me from wanting to leave. Usually after 3 years, I’m ready to move on. My boss and his wife are really good people, they treat me really well, and I don’t see myself going anywhere anytime soon. We

During my time at the credit union, and into my time at the medical supply company, I also was a barista, and I started taking care of Henry and his wife Nina until she died. Somewhere along in there I was also a janitor our crew cleaned Mervyns; I have mad respect for janitors that have to clean public places like that.

I read a quote once that said something like, If you can do for 3 years what most people won’t do, you will be able to do for a lifetime what most people can’t do. I took that to heart, and every new job I get I try to make it last at least three years, even if I hate

10 comments:

  1. Knowing that you can always get a job is a great feeling.  And when you know you can, people are lined up to hire you.  I still get "gigs" (writing proposals, preparing people for interviews,  developing marketing packages, etc.) and it's nice to put together that invoice at $60 an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $60 an hour!!! I knew you weren't cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and that's my low rate.  Design work brings it up to $120 an hour.  (But keep in mind, that's money that has no taxes held out and I still have to pay the tax man.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're very blessed to enjoy the job you have now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great when you finally get a job you like, I know. I'm hoping I'll still feel the same way about my new job in  3 years, 5 years, 10 years...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a job that made me cry once. Never again. I'm so glad you have a job you like with a boss who's good to you. You deserve it. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think so too Meleah.
    Happy Turkey day, hope there's something you can eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope so too Nicky, good jobs are hard to come by. We're sort of a little family, I like it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't realize how much it can bring you down until you just can't take any more. I'm glad you took off on your own, it's a hard and scary transition, takes some serious guts. But it looks like it totally worked out for you.
    Happy thanksgiving to you too :)

    ReplyDelete