Monday, November 21, 2011

10 Reasons Why I Don't Have Kids of My Own.

I'm hooking up with Stashia's Monday Listicles again courtesy of Jen @ Just Jennifer, today's topic is either 10 reasons you want/have kids or 10 reason's you don't.

A little back history…. I have known my husband since I was 10, he’s 17 years older than I am, I don’t remember much about him when I was younger but I sure noticed him when I got older. We got together briefly when I was 18 while he was separated, we parted ways, because I’m not that kind of girl, and by the time I was 21 he was divorced, and his kids were Boy 7 and Girl 9.

This one's called: You can't give them high 5's or they'll
do it too much and never learn to cuss elegantly.... I HEART Natalie DEE!!!



So here’s my list
1.      I was lucky not to get pregnant in high school, every 28 days I celebrated with Aunt Flo.

2.      He is 17 years older than I am, and he already had kids, we had part time custody, so I didn’t need kids of my own because I already had them.

3.      He had already been snipped, and we didn’t have the financial resources to un-snip him.

4.      I nannied and infant for a year, I got to experience what it was like having an baby 5 days a week for 9 hours. It was exhausting and by the time I got home I had had enough.

5.      I’m too selfish with my husband, time, and things. I don’t like to share any of them unless it’s absolutely necessary.

6.      When his son was 10 we fought for full custody, the ex told the judge that Steve was an alcoholic, so he voluntarily took the class that they make you take when you get a DUI and he went to AA he stopped drinking completely, and we sacrificed a lot to get the boy. (They learned how to slam shots from their mother). By the time he was 12 he decided that he was going to do what he wanted, when he wanted and there was nothing we were going to do or say to change it. I hated going home, Steve worked nights and I was stuck having to handle this child that wasn’t mine. We shipped him back to his mom at the end of the school year, I couldn’t do it anymore.

7.      I pity the foo that has tween children, that really cured me from having any of my own, I will never do tweens again.

8.      I had an ablation 2 years ago this April, it is the best thing I could have ever done for myself, and because of that I no longer have a nest for the egg to land in even if I had a momentary lapse of reason and decided I wanted to get pregnant.

9.      I have a beautiful granddaughter who is almost 4, we see her often, and she’s a lot of work, fun work, but work, and I’m too old to have that sort of energy around me all the time.

10.  I’m happy with the choices I have made to not have kids of my own. Now if I could just get rid of the dogs.

27 comments:

  1. It's always good to read a rare opinion like this. I've not done a listicle before, but I think I want to on this. I don't want kids either, but I've found myself keeping the opinion to myself in the bloggy world for fear of how wrong things can be taken online without context or intonation. Thanks for the lil push to say "yeah, I can do this in a nice way!."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I have only one child. And quite frankly, this shop is CLOSED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could inspire you, and welcome to Listicles, last week was my first time too. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add, and had I followed my notes, that having tweens in the house made my ovaries shrivel up and my eggs turn to silt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, if that's how life works out and you're happy with it, then that's all that matters.  I admire you for knowing where you stand and sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, I speak my mind, usually in a nice way, I don't judge or force my opinions on others, and if I lose a follower, someone else will eventually take their place. Those who leave, I don't really want anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Jennifer, I love kids, I love sending them home even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That was a lot to share, Madge. I admire you for knowing what you want out of life. I never imagined my life would end up as it has and that is all due to my kids and the choices we have made. BTW - Ablation is a gift from the heavens!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about Ablation being  agift from the heavens! I'm just hoping I'm through the Menopause before I have to have another one.

    I didn't know that I didn't want kids until I had some around all the time. I was also really young to be raising young adults. It was really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just sent my niece and nephew home with their dad and I must agree...even though I love them and love being with them...the best part is sending them home!

    I'm glad you made the decision that was right for you and the life you want. You have the best of both worlds...you can borrow the granddaughter when you feel like some 4 year old conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I envy you a little. (shhh a lot) You got to have fun with kids but not actually have to do the shitty parts. You are my hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I made a good decision too. I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There were pleanty of shitty parts, cleaning puke, and the pee bed in the middle of the night, the time when we were camping and the boy had it coming and going and messed up all of his underwear and refused to wear mine.  Many many years of shitty parts, I promise. But I'll let you envy me a little if you want too :)~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's great you know what you want (or don't want, in this case) in life and be content with that. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't being able to make choices and celebrate them the best thing ever? Yeay for women!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Alison, it's not often that I do what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine dealing with my teens if I was any younger than I am...although I wouldn't be nearly as tired! 

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm definitely not looking forward to the tween years, that's fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think they're all super valid reasons not to have kids. I didn't know you can un-snip a man?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you're happy with your decision (with plenty of good reasons!) and that's what matters, right? I'm thinking I need to add your blog to my bookmarks - your life sounds quite interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Madge, I totally get this - well, a lot of it. I almost went the route of not having kids. At least, that was my intention for most of my life (changed my mind very late in life). It's definitely a personal choice, and I wish more people respected the choices we make. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Being a stepmom is SUCH a hard job. It really is harder than having your own kids in so many ways. So yup I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well kept secret.  Most of the most happily married couples do not have kids.  Ignore Brad and Angelina.  They are freaks.  

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay you!  I love people that know what they want and can celebrate it!

    ReplyDelete